Remodeling your entire kitchen might be the best option when you looking for a change, but it is also the most time consuming and expensive option. Kitchen cabinets can be remodeled without undergoing a complete makeover, and how to do it you ask? Just repaint the cabinets and they would be nothing short of new. You might be thinking about where to begin, and the fact that it is not an easy task. Well you are not wrong, but it can be simplified, with proper planning. Take small steps and you shall succeed and will be left with cabinets that look brand new.
There are a few stages that you must go through and follow if you are planning a DIY project of painting your kitchen cabinets.
- First and foremost you need to protect everything that you are not painting. The floor must be covered at all times and also all the other empty spaces where paint might fall and stain it.
- You need a place where you can keep all the paint supplies so that they are not scattered everywhere and remain organized.
- You need a clean canvas so you must clean your cabinets first. A lot of grease and dirt must have accumulated on the cabinets in the years that have gone by and paint will not stay on it if it is not cleaned properly.
- Also scrub the cabinet area with sandpaper for a smooth base. This ensures that your paint gets a better adhesion on to the surface.
- You need to section areas of the kitchen cabinets that you are going to paint so that you can take it step by step. This ensures that the whole area is not blocked and you can still use the kitchen areas as and when you need.
- Using a primer will not be necessary as the cabinets were finished products from the market and already had been painted once.
- Angled brushes are important tools, so make sure that you buy them. The flat areas of the cabinets cannot be painted properly without them.
- You need to apply at least two coats otherwise the color will not be brought out. But the first layer must be left to dry completely first before you apply the second one.
- If there are clumps of paint or uneven applications, then go over that using the sandpaper once it has dried completely.
Follow these steps and your kitchen cabinets will look amazing and you too can be proud that you did it all by yourself.
The finishing is an essential part of any project so pay careful attention to the steps. When you are about to re-attach the pulls, you must take care as the paint though dry is still raw. It will not achieve the necessary hardness until after a certain time. So it might be better advised that you wait a few days before you re-install its parts. You have been patient throughout the process don’t lose your calm now; else all your hard work will have been for nothing. You can also paint the boards of the kitchen cabinets differently and change them whenever you want to switch up the look of the kitchen. This step will add versatility to the cabinets.